How To Get an Accident Report from the Oklahoma Highway Patrol


A frightening multi-car pile-up on an Oklahoma interstate or highway can leave you shaken up. In the worst cases, you may be left with a painful injury.

If another driver was responsible for your collision, you shouldn’t have to worry about the costs of medical care and car repairs. Unfortunately, car insurance companies don’t automatically accept fault for their policyholders.

You may have to prove that the other motorist was careless or reckless. One piece of evidence that can help is an accident report written up by an Oklahoma Highway Patrol Officer. Knowing how to secure this important document will help you seek support after a collision.

How Long Should I Wait to Request a Collision Report?

The officer who responds to your accident is required to have a report completed within 30 days of the incident. If the collision involved the death of a victim, the report should be turned in to the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety (DPS) within 20 days of the loss of life.

Of course, an investigation that is ongoing may delay the completion of a collision report. Victims should wait at least a week or two before sending in a request to get the report.

Who Can Request an Oklahoma Highway Patrol Collision Report?

Not just anyone will be able to immediately secure a copy of the accident report. If you were involved in the accident, you are allowed access to the report.

Otherwise, the DPS website offers this list of people eligible to request the report:

  • A party involved in the collision,
  • A legal representative of a party involved in the collision,
  • A state, county, or city law enforcement agency,
  • The Department of Transportation or any country or city transportation or road and highway maintenance agency,
  • Licensed insurance agent of a party involved in the collision,
  • Insurer of a party involved in the collision
  • Insurer to which a party has applied for coverage,
  • Person under contract with an insurer to provide claims or underwriting information,
  • Prosecutorial authority,
  • Newspaper,
  • Radio or television broadcaster,
  • Licensed private investigators employed by a party involved in the collision, or
  • Provider of health services to a party involved in the collision.

Securing a Copy of Your Oklahoma Highway Patrol Collision Report

You will be requesting your accident report from the DPS. You cannot request it by phone and the department will not fax or email reports to you.

You will need to request your report by mail or bring a request to the office in person. First, you will fill out the RECORDS REQUEST & CONSENT TO RELEASE form found here. You should know the time and date of your accident.

In Person:

Bring your completed form and all fees to The Department of Public Safety Building at 3600 North Martin Luther King Avenue, Oklahoma City.

By Mail:

Mail your completed form in. Be sure to include the fee and a self-addressed, stamped envelope.

Department of Public Safety

Records Management Division

  1. O. Box 11415

Oklahoma City, OK


How Do I Pay for My Collision Report?

A collision report will cost $7. A certified collision report will cost $10.

You won’t be able to use a credit card to pay for your document. Cash will be accepted if you pay in person. Otherwise, you can pay with a cashier’s check, money order, or personal check.

Do I Need a Lawyer After an Oklahoma Car Accident?

If your accident involves only property damage, you may not need the help of a lawyer to get your car repaired and your wallet reimbursed. But if you suffer injuries that go beyond a few bumps and bruises, you should contact Ylla | Gosney Attorneys at Law. Car insurance companies will go to work trying to downplay injuries or shift blame when expensive medical bills are involved. Your lawyer will be a valuable safeguard to make sure you are treated fairly.

We offer a free, no-obligation case review with a real Oklahoma Car Accident Lawyer. Contact us as soon as possible.

Keep in mind that if you do need our help to earn more, you won’t need any upfront money to hire us. We don’t accept payment unless we win your case. Then our fee comes out of the settlement you receive. We also adjust our fees to make sure you keep what you need to rebuild your life.