At Ylla | Gosney, we handle many types of car accident claims, from those involving injuries to those that tragically take lives. Our Oklahoma City car accident lawyers have years of combined experience handling these types of claims and will fight for your rights. We will also stand up to the big insurance companies and ensure that you gain maximum compensation for your losses. Please do not hesitate to contact us today for a no-obligation review of your claim so that we can help you get started immediately.
How Dangerous is a Head-on Collision?
Head-on collisions are those that take place when vehicles that are traveling in different directions collide with each other front-to-front. Due to the force involved in these collisions, head-on collisions tend to be some of the most catastrophic accidents on our roads. In many of these accidents, victims are seriously injured or even lose their lives.
In a report by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, head-on collisions in 2017 had a 58% chance of leading to a fatality. These accidents can happen anywhere, from intersections to major highways and backroads. If you have been hurt or lost a loved one in a head-on crash in Oklahoma City, you may have questions about where you can turn.
Do I Need an Attorney After a Head-On Collision?
Though it is possible to handle a personal injury claim on your own, this is not advised if you have sustained serious injuries due to an accident. Another reason for needing assistance from a legal advocate is if you have missed time at work or are otherwise financially impacted by a car accident. Head-on collisions are complex accident claims due to the fact that fault is not always evident and there are many deadlines you may need to meet in these cases.
On top of needing a lawyer to help you after a head-on collision, you should never delay in seeking assistance. Oklahoma follows a strict statute of limitations of two years from the time that you discover your injury to file a claim. If you wait too long, you could miss out on financial opportunities if your claim is thrown out. Speaking with an attorney is a beneficial way to move forward with your claim as soon as possible.
Common Causes of Head-on Collisions
There are a number of reasons for a driver traveling over the line into another lane, crashing head-on into another vehicle. These accidents tend to happen due to any of the following reasons:
- Intoxicated Driving: There are many cases where an intoxicated driver causes a head-on collision. Intoxication due to drugs or alcohol can impair a person’s judgment, making one of these accidents more likely.
- Fatigued Driving: When drivers get behind the wheel with little to no sleep, the road can become hypnotic to them. This means that a driver could fall asleep at the wheel and run over the middle line, slamming into a second vehicle head-on. The results can be devastating.
- Driver Distractions: There are many types of distractions that can take a driver’s eyes from the roadway and cause a head-on collision. These include cell phone use, GPS instruments, eating or drinking, talking to passengers, and more.
- Road Confusion: A lack of signage or unfamiliarity with the roads around a person can cause them to head onto a one-way street, slamming head-on into another vehicle.
No matter how the collision occurred, a head-on crash can be absolutely devastating for a victim or their family. Luckily, there are options after one of these collisions.
Seeking Damages After a Head-On Collision
Depending on the severity of your accident, there are many damages that you may be able to obtain through a head-on collision claim. These include some of the following:
- Property Damages: You may be eligible to receive compensation for the damages to your property, including your vehicle and anything inside that was lost or broken as a result of a crash.
- Injury Damages: You will be able to receive damages for aspects related to your medical care following an accident. These include hospital trips, rehabilitation, surgeries, medical equipment, prescriptions, and more.
- Wrongful Death Damages: You and your family will be able to recover wrongful death damages if you lost a loved one due to a head-on collision. These include aspects like funeral and burial costs, loss of consortium, and more.
You Need Help from an Oklahoma City Car Accident Lawyer
No matter what led to your accident, you have rights and options after a head-on collision. These accidents tend to be vastly severe, which can turn your life upside-down and leave you with legal questions that you cannot answer on your own.
At Ylla | Gosney, our Oklahoma City car accident lawyers are here to help you make things right after a life-changing car accident. We believe that you should never have to deal with stress associated with an accident on your own. We’re invested in your claim from start to finish. Please do not hesitate to contact us today for a legal consultation that can help you get started.