Ylla Gosney Attorneys at Law’s team of Oklahoma car accident lawyers will be there for you if you’ve been hurt in an Uber accident. Whether you’re riding as a passenger, walking as a pedestrian, or driving your own vehicle, when an Uber driver causes an accident, we can help you through the legal process. Contact us today to set up a free, no-obligation consultation to learn more.
Do You Need to Hire a Lawyer After an Uber Accident?
While an Uber accident is ultimately viewed the same as any other car accident by Oklahoma law, the circumstances and scenarios that are involved are somewhat unique. That said, if your injuries are minor, you probably don’t need a lawyer to help you with a claim. However, given the unique circumstances of an Uber accident, having an experienced team on your side can make the process much simpler–especially if your injuries are more severe. Here’s how our team can help you after an Uber accident:
- Explaining your options – Our legal team can help you understand what your rights are and explore potential options for financial support. We provide insights into the legal aspects of your particular situation, making sure you’re well-informed about your options.
- Help with the legal process – Managing the insurance and legal side of the case can be challenging. Our knowledgeable team can guide you through the process, assisting with necessary paperwork, meeting deadlines, and navigating the complexities of the legal system.
- Gathering evidence – Another area where our team can be a huge help is gathering and compiling evidence. Whether this is your medical records, accident reports, communications, or visual evidence, we’ll make sure you have what you need for a strong claim.
- Negotiating with insurance companies – Insurance companies often seek quick settlements, but our advocates are adept at negotiating on your behalf. We strive to secure a fair offer for your damages.
- Legal representation – If the case advances to court, our legal team becomes crucial. We present your case, argue on your behalf, and manage the challenges of legal proceedings.
What Else Do You Need To Do?
While every car accident is unique, particularly those that involve an Uber driver, the post-accident steps are still important. Similar to any other car accident in Oklahoma, it’s vital to take the following steps to protect your legal rights and well-being:
- Check for injuries – Immediately assess for injuries and dial 911 if anyone is harmed.
- Contact the police – Inform the police about the accident to create a report with essential details.
- Get contact and insurance information – Gather crucial details such as names, contact information, and insurance particulars from all involved parties.
- Document the accident scene – Capture photos or videos of the accident, depicting damage, road conditions, and injuries.
- Get information from any witnesses – Speak with witnesses and collect their contact information.
- Inform Uber about the accident – Utilize the Uber app to report the accident if you were using Uber.
- Seek medical care – Consult a doctor, even if you don’t feel immediate pain.
- Report the accident to your insurance company – Notify your insurance provider about the accident, notwithstanding Uber’s insurance responsibility.
- Exercise caution with statements – Refrain from discussing the incident with insurance representatives without consulting your lawyer first.
- Keep records – Maintain records of medical bills, damage costs, and related expenses to bolster your claim.
With all these steps in mind, it’s easy to see how potentially difficult a claim after an Uber accident can be. That said, when you’re hurt, it’s vital that you get everything you can out of the legal system to make sure you’re able to fully recover from any injuries.
Filing a Claim After an Uber Accident
There’s generally two options when it comes to the legal process after an Oklahoma Uber accident:
- Filing an insurance claim
- Filing a personal injury lawsuit
It’s worth remembering that while the circumstances of an Uber accident are unique, the legal system in Oklahoma treats it no differently than any other car accident. In simple terms, if you get hurt in an Uber accident, your rights are the same as those in any standard car accident. As such, the initial step remains the same: determining liability.
In the majority of Uber accidents:
- The Uber driver is usually considered responsible.
Uber, as a company, is unlikely to be directly involved due to the fact that they classify their drivers as “independent contractors.” What this means is that the driver’s personal car insurance coverage becomes responsible for covering your injuries and damages.
Further, since you’re usually not the one driving in an Uber, the chance to avoid the accident is low. However, if another driver is found at fault, the claims process proceeds conventionally, with the responsibility for covering your injuries and damages falling on the other driver’s insurance.
As with any car accident, your damages can be extensive. Oklahoma courts try to take this into account when determining damages. Generally speaking, the following damages are available in these types of claims:
- Medical expenses – These cover all costs related to medical care from the accident, including doctor visits, medications, and hospital stays.
- Ongoing care – If your injuries are such that they require long-term treatment or therapy, these will cover those costs.
- Lost income – This category of damages relates to any income you miss out on during recovery and any future earnings affected by permanent injuries.
- Pain and suffering – These cover the physical pain and mental anguish resulting from the accident.
- Emotional distress – These damages are specifically for the psychological effects like anxiety or PTSD that come out of the accident.
Whether you’re a driver or passenger, getting injured in an accident involving an Uber vehicle is something nobody wants. However, given their prevalence, the chance of being in a car accident with an Uber driver is a real possibility. When it happens, having expertise and knowledge on your side becomes crucial to ensure you receive the support and benefits you deserve.
Free Consultations With Experienced Oklahoma Uber Accident Lawyers
At Ylla Gosney, we know how complicated Uber accidents can be. With multiple insurance companies involved, disputes over covering your injuries and damages may come up. As the victim, you could end up with less than you deserve.
Don’t let that happen. Partnering with our team of Oklahoma car accident lawyers will make sure you receive the financial and legal support you need. We have a successful history of navigating challenges in the aftermath of Uber accidents. Contact us today to set up your free consultation.