Car Accident Lawyer
Ylla | Gosney defends every Oklahoman that needs defending
If you have been injured in a car accident in Oklahoma City, the lawyers at Ylla | Gosney can help you get a settlement offer to cover all of your medical, financial, and emotional damages.
Regardless of the type of car accident you are in, the cost of recovery can be devastating.
On top of the financial loss, there’s the emotional pain and suffering that comes with these incidents.
You might end up with huge medical bills and other expenses, and you could even get seriously hurt or even tragically lose a loved one. That’s why it’s important to understand your legal options.
Contact us today for a free, no-obligation consultation.
How Can a Car Accident Lawyer Help?
Dealing with the aftermath of a car accident, including missing work, coping with injuries, and arranging for vehicle repairs, can be incredibly overwhelming. That’s where our law firm can come in and ease this burden on you and your family. Through our experience and knowledge, we’ve helped hundreds of clients throughout the Oklahoma City community.
Still, you might wonder what our law firm would specifically do to help after your car accident.
Here are some of the actions we would take as we build the case for your best settlement offer:
- Investigating the accident – We meticulously examine the factors contributing to the accident, including common causes like speeding, distracted driving, drunk driving, and drowsy driving.
- Collecting crucial evidence – We gather essential evidence, including photographs of the accident scene, documentation of injuries and property damage, as well as your pertinent medical records, bills, and receipts.
- Interviewing witnesses and experts – We reach out to witnesses who can provide valuable insights and may engage medical experts or reconstructionists to bolster your case.
- Handling communications – We take charge of communications with the defendant’s insurance company and legal representatives, ensuring your interests are protected from tactics that could undermine your case.
- Maximizing compensation -Whether through negotiation or litigation, our proficient lawyers will work tirelessly for the best possible outcomes, striving for a fair settlement or jury award on your behalf.
When you decide to pursue a car accident claim, our team gets to work for you. Alongside our legal services, we diligently calculate your expenses to ensure you receive full and fair compensation from the person or party responsible for your car accident.
As with any injury claim, you’ll have to file within the statute of limitations. In the State of Oklahoma, the statute of limitations in which to file a claim is two years from the date of your accident. It might sound like a long time, but a lot of work needs to be done before your claim can be filed. Missing this deadline could mean that you won’t be able to recover anything for your accident.
Calculating Accident Damages
One crucial aspect of any car accident claim is “damages.” Car accident damages include any losses you’ve experienced because of the accident, both economic and non-economic.
In a car accident claim, you can recover the following damages with our assistance:
- Medical expenses, including hospital bills, medications, surgeries, and assistive devices
- Physical pain and suffering
- Lost wages or loss of future income
- Mental suffering, like post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Costs for caregiving and transportation services
- Compensation for loss of enjoyment of life
- Expenses related to physical therapy and mental health treatment
- Property damage
- Wrongful death expenses, in the event of a fatal accident
We will help you identify your specific damages and the best approach to recover them. Then, we’ll advocate for your best settlement based on the damages you have already sustained and projected costs of recovery to come.
Common Injuries in Car Accidents
No matter the kind of car accident you’ve been in, there’s a high chance you’ve sustained injuries.
Furthermore, certain types of car accidents can lead to more serious injuries than others.
While every accident is unique, here’s a look at some of the more common injuries you could face:
- Whiplash – Whiplash is a common injury that occurs when the neck is suddenly jerked forward and backward, often in car accidents. It can result in neck pain, stiffness, and discomfort. In severe cases, it may involve damage to the cervical spine or nerves.
- Fractures and broken bones – Fractures or broken bones can occur in various parts of the body, such as the arms, legs, ribs, and skull. The severity of the fracture depends on the force and location of the impact.
- Ligament tear – Ligaments are strong, fibrous tissues that connect bones to one another. Tears in ligaments, such as the ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) in the knee, can be painful and require surgical repair for full recovery.
- Head, neck, and shoulder injuries – These injuries can range from minor bruises to severe trauma. Head injuries may involve concussions or more severe traumatic brain injuries (TBIs). Neck and shoulder injuries can result in pain and limited mobility.
- Cuts and lacerations – Cuts and lacerations can occur due to various accidents, including sharp objects or tools. Depending on the depth and location, they may require stitches or medical attention to prevent infection.
- Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBIs) – TBIs can have varying degrees of severity, from mild concussions to severe brain damage. They are often caused by a blow to the head or a sudden jolt and can result in cognitive, emotional, and physical impairments.
- Burn injuries – Burns can occur from exposure to heat, chemicals, electricity, or radiation. They are classified into degrees (first, second, and third-degree) based on the depth and severity of tissue damage.
- Loss of limbs – The loss of limbs can result from traumatic accidents, such as car crashes, explosions, or industrial mishaps. Prosthetic limbs and rehabilitation can help individuals adapt to life after limb loss.
Injuries can have a significant impact on your life, leading to physical and emotional challenges. More than that, you’ll likely be facing immediate treatment and ongoing care, especially if your car accident was severe.
If you accept a settlement offer that is too low, you will not be able to go back to the insurance company and request more money to cover additional medical expenses or other damages. This is why it is incredibly important to have a seasoned car accident attorney representing you against the other driver’s insurance company.
Common Causes of Car Accidents
It’s not surprising that Oklahoma City sees the most car accidents throughout Oklahoma given the fact that it’s our most populated city. With I-40 cutting through the heart of town, and other commuter highways intersecting, there are ample opportunities for dangerous car wrecks.
Even in the suburbs like Southern Oaks, drivers are constantly making poor decisions which lead to countless car accidents. Some of the most common reasons behind car accidents in OKC include:
Determining Liability After a Crash
Legally speaking, Oklahoma is an “at-fault” state. This means that the responsible party for a car accident is held liable for the resulting damages.
Figuring out liability for your injuries hinges on establishing negligence. Our team can assist you in determining the compensation you may be able to pursue, but first, specific criteria must be met to have a successful claim.
Essentially, you must show that the negligence or carelessness of another party led to the accident. Typically, there are four components of negligence:
- The other party had a duty to keep you safe, taking reasonable measures to prevent harming you and others.
- The other party failed to uphold–or breached–this duty.
- This failure directly caused the accident.
- The accident resulted in your injuries and other damages.
Another important facet of liability is that fault can be apportioned among multiple parties involved, including you.
If you are deemed to be 50% or more at fault, you are legally prohibited from pursuing compensation. However, if your degree of fault is less than that of another responsible party, you still have the option to seek compensation. The amount of compensation you receive may be influenced by the extent of your assigned fault in the accident.
Regardless, our team can help you put together a claim for damages.
Contact Our Experienced Oklahoma City Car Accident Lawyers
At Ylla | Gosney, we understand the challenges and disruptions that come with a car accident. During this challenging time, our dedicated team will be there to support you.
We will help you hold the responsible parties accountable for your injuries and will make sure you receive the benefits and support you deserve. Don’t wait to get started. Contact us today for a free consultation.