A car accident can happen when you least expect it in Oklahoma City, and can even happen when you’re not driving. One of the most common ways that this happens is when you’re injured while riding in an Uber. Any car accident has the potential to upend your life, but when it happens as you’re riding in the back of an Uber, it adds a layer of frustration and complexity to the process.
At Ylla Gosney, Attorneys at Law our experienced Oklahoma City car accident lawyers understand how difficult this situation is and will be there to support you as you try to recover from your injuries. If you or a loved one have been hurt in an Uber accident, contact us today to set up a free consultation.
Who Covers Your Injuries and Damages After an Oklahoma City Uber Accident?
Even if you’re a passenger in an Uber, you still have the same rights as anyone else that’s been injured in an Oklahoma City car accident. The main distinction when an Uber is involved is liability.
Generally speaking, an Uber driver doesn’t work for Uber itself. Rather, they act as an “independent contractor.” What this means, at least in terms of your potential claim, is that the driver’s own personal insurance coverage will be the one that will have to pay for any injuries or damages.
In instances where another driver is considered at-fault, the claim would proceed as normal–the other driver’s insurance would be responsible for covering your injuries and damages.
Once you’ve addressed your health and well-being after the accident, you can seek support and benefits through an injury claim. Our experienced team can assist you in navigating the complexities of an Uber accident claim, which can be done through either an insurance claim or a personal injury lawsuit. This process allows you to recover financial support, known as “damages.” Depending on the accident specifics, these damages can cover:
- Medical bills and costs, including expenses for doctor visits, hospital stays, surgeries, medications, and related medical expenses.
- Treatment and therapy expenses, encompassing ongoing care, rehabilitation, and treatments like physical therapy, chiropractic care, occupational therapy, and counseling.
- Lost wages, compensating for income you cannot earn while recovering from your injuries.
- Emotional distress, addressing the emotional pain and suffering caused by the accident, including sadness, grief, humiliation, or anguish.
The amount of damages depends on your medical bills and the emotional impact of the accident, which can be significant in many Uber accidents. It’s crucial to be aware of the two-year time limit (statute of limitations) for filing an Uber accident claim in Oklahoma from the accident date. Missing this deadline could prevent you from obtaining the compensation you need.
What Evidence is Available After an Oklahoma City Uber Accident?
No matter what the circumstances are, the relative strength of your Uber accident claim is going to hinge on the evidence you have to support it. The good news, relatively, is that there should be plenty of evidence at your disposal:
- Accident report – Most likely, there will be official accident reports filed by law enforcement and Uber itself, which can provide a comprehensive overview of the accident and include statements from parties involved, witnesses, and the officer’s assessment of the scene.
- Photographs and videos – Visual evidence of the accident scene, vehicle damage, road conditions, and any visible injuries can be crucial. Take photos or videos using your smartphone or a camera if possible.
- Witness statements – Statements from individuals who witnessed the accident can offer independent accounts of what happened. Collect their contact information for future reference.
- Medical records – Your medical records and bills are vital evidence to prove the extent of your injuries and the associated healthcare costs.
- Prescription records – If you were prescribed medications as a result of the accident, these records can further support your medical expenses claim.
- Expert opinions – Expert testimonies from medical professionals, accident reconstruction specialists, or other experts can help explain complex aspects of the case, such as the cause of the accident or the nature of your injuries.
- Uber’s app data – Information from the Uber app, including the ride details and driver information, can be essential in determining the driver’s status at the time of the accident.
- Communications – Any relevant emails, text messages, or communications related to the accident, such as notifications to Uber or the driver, can be useful.
- Driver and vehicle information – Get the driver’s contact information, insurance details, and vehicle information. This includes the driver’s license, vehicle registration, and insurance policy.
- Dashcam footage – If either the Uber driver or another party involved had a dashboard camera, the footage can provide valuable evidence of the accident.
- Cell phone records – If distracted driving is suspected, cell phone records can be obtained to determine if the driver was using their phone at the time of the accident.
- Maintenance or inspection reports – If a vehicle defect is suspected, maintenance and inspection records may be used to demonstrate negligence on the part of the vehicle owner or operator.
- Driving history – The driving history of the Uber driver, including any prior accidents or traffic violations, can be relevant in assessing liability.
Any car accident can have a devastating impact on your life, both financially and emotionally. Even minor accidents can lead to expensive repairs, medical bills, and lost wages. In more serious cases, you may suffer life-changing injuries or even lose loved ones. So, it’s important to not only gather this crucial evidence, but to preserve it. Our experienced team can help you do this and make sure your claim is as strong as possible.
Causes of Uber Accidents in Oklahoma City
In a place as busy as Oklahoma City, there’s bound to be all sorts of vehicles on the road. So, when you’re a passenger in an Uber or sharing the road with one, you don’t really have any control over whether or not there’s an accident. However, the various causes of these accidents don’t differ from other car accidents in the city:
- Distracted driving – Uber drivers may become distracted by their smartphones, GPS devices, or conversations with passengers, leading to accidents.
- Speeding – Excessive speed is a common cause of accidents. Some drivers may rush to reach their destination, putting safety at risk.
- Impaired driving – Accidents can occur when drivers are under the influence of alcohol or drugs, impairing their judgment and reaction times.
- Fatigue – Uber drivers who work long hours may become fatigued, which can lead to lapses in concentration and increased accident risk.
- Inexperience – Some Uber drivers may lack experience, which can make them more prone to accidents, especially in challenging driving conditions.
- Weather conditions – Adverse weather, such as heavy rain, ice, or snow, can make driving more hazardous, increasing the likelihood of accidents.
- Faulty parts – Vehicle malfunctions or poor maintenance can result in accidents.
- Reckless driving – Some drivers may engage in aggressive or reckless behavior, such as tailgating or sudden lane changes.
- Poor road conditions – Improperly or poorly maintained roads, potholes, and inadequate signage can contribute to accidents.
- Passenger behavior – Passengers who behave disruptively or distract the driver can increase the accident risk.
No matter what caused your Uber accident, our team can help you figure out liability, then navigate the claims process with you. Whether it wraps up in an insurance settlement out of court or at trial in a lawsuit, we’ll make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
Experienced Oklahoma City Uber Accident Lawyers
Nobody gets in an Uber and expects to get hurt in a car accident. Yet, with so many people utilizing this service in Oklahoma City, it’s almost inevitable that it happens. You don’t have to face this situation alone. At Ylla Gosney, Attorneys at Law, our team of Oklahoma City car accident lawyers will support you in your recovery and throughout the legal process. Contact us today for a free consultation to learn more about your options.