At Ylla | Gosney, our Tulsa car accident lawyers will aggressively fight to protect your rights after you have been injured in a life-altering Tulsa car accident. Our team of experienced attorneys have assisted many victims throughout Oklahoma in the past and will commit ourselves to every aspect of your claim so that you do not have to deal with the stress on your own. From negotiating with the insurance companies to helping you abide by deadlines, we are here for you. Please don’t hesitate to contact us today for a free consultation.
The Dangers of Head-on Collisions
Every type of Tulsa car accident has the ability to be dangerous; however, some accidents tend to be more catastrophic than others. This is the case with head-on collisions, which are capable of causing some of the most extensive damages out of any type of accident. When two vehicles collide head-on into one another, the force is so extreme that the vehicles involved are typically destroyed and the parties inside those vehicles normally don’t walk away without injuries.
According to information provided by the Federal Highway Administration, head-on collisions are known for being some of the most injurious and deadly accidents on our roads. In approximately 14% of fatal accidents in the U.S. each year, a head-on collision was responsible for the crash. By obeying the rules of the road, head-on crashes can be prevented and both drivers and passengers can be kept safe from harm.
Causes of Head-on Collisions in Tulsa
A head-on collision can happen in virtual seconds when a driver makes even the simplest road mistake. Some of the most common causes of these accidents include the following:
- Intoxicated Driving: When a driver has been drinking and driving, there is always a chance that their perception and judgment on our roads will be off. This means that they could enter into a lane of oncoming traffic, quickly leading to a damaging collision.
- Fatigued Driving: In some cases, a driver may get behind the wheel of a car after a long time without sleep. This can cause them to become drowsy and fall asleep for a few seconds, causing them to drift into the lane of traffic. This can lead to catastrophic results.
- Adverse Weather Conditions: Though bad weather is a cause of very few head-on collisions each year, fog, rain, and other conditions can still lead to accidents in the blink of an eye.
- Distracted Driving: Even when you remove your eyes from the road for a few seconds, a serious accident could occur before you know it. Some types of common distractions on our roads include cell phone usage, using a GPS, talking to passengers in the vehicle, eating, and more.
- Confusion About Roads: When a driver does not see signage instructing them that a road is one-way, a head-on accident could occur involving two vehicles.
- Swerving: If debris or an animal is unexpectedly on the road, a driver may have to swerve out of the way quickly, which can lead to a head-on collision.
Due to the nature of these accidents, they are almost always the fault of the driver who swerved into the other lane and collided head-on with the second vehicle. However, there are some circumstances where a government entity could be responsible due to a road defect or two drivers could be at fault for a head-on crash.
Injuries Present in Head-On Collisions in Tulsa
No matter what leads to a head-on collision, the results can be devastating. Some of the common injuries that result from these accidents include the following:
- Severe neck injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Spinal cord trauma
- Internal bleeding and organ damage
- Death in the most traumatic cases
The injuries that stem from head-on crashes tend to be incredibly severe and long-lasting. This means that you could be facing a long road to recovery that you are not prepared for, as well as time away from work with limited income. In cases where a life has been lost, families may see financial struggles as well while they are grieving. It is crucial that you have help from an experienced legal advocate after an accident.
Damages Available After Head-on Crashes
If you have sustained harm in a head-on collision caused by another party, you may be able to file a personal injury claim for damages. Some of the aspects that you may be able to recover in a claim include:
- Past and current medical expenses stemming from your injuries
- Future medical expenses
- Loss of income and future lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Punitive damages
- Any wrongful death damages if a life was taken
Be prepared for the insurance company in your claim to try to offer you as little as possible in recovery. If you think that your settlement offer is too low and does not cover all of your damages, it can be beneficial to speak with a skilled accident lawyer who has handled these claims in the past.
Assistance from Tulsa Car Accident Lawyers
It can be frustrating and confusing to face the aftermath of an unexpected head-on collision. The injuries or loss of a loved one can leave you in a helpless position both emotionally and financially. On top of this, dealing with the insurance company is an all-around stressful experience.
At Ylla Gosney Attorneys at Law, our team of Tulsa car accident lawyers are here to help you hold responsible parties accountable for the harm they have caused you. You can ensure that you receive maximum compensation by having a skilled attorney on your side who is knowledgeable in Oklahoma car accident laws. Do not hesitate to contact us for a completely free legal consultation. We will get started on helping you immediately.